Background template

4.22.2012

Living for the "next thing?"

 Warning: Most 26 and 28 year olds speak in seasons, but Brett and I speak according to the college calendar because we work in the college ministry world. So, as this semester comes to a close, I see how easy it is for the girls I lead to begin wishing away and hoping for the "next thing", which just so happens to be summer break, and for many of them a summer opportunity at Orlando Project or overseas.  I can join with them feeling tired and being ready for the "next thing." Today, we went to our 38 week appointment to see if there were any signs of Caden to be seen and there weren't. Immediately, I was disappointed as I want to meet and hold sweet baby boy...and to not be pregnant anymore if I am honest with you! Our hearts are such fickle things that we would desire to rush through each day just to get to the next thing, instead of enjoying Him and all the gifts He gives us that specific day.

Today, I chose to pick up an old devotional book from when I was living in Peoria and meeting with several women from my staff team to discuss. Here is the easy read-I would highly recommend. Through reading through this supplemental book and reading through God's Word I was highly encouraged to remember this simple truth....

  "If we focus our thoughts on looking only at what we hope tomorrow will bring, we will miss all the pleasures of today."

Just a little thought for the day...I think discontentment lies in thinking ahead to the "next thing" and believing THEN you will be satisfied or content. Though easy to believe, the grass is NOT greener on the other side, but we are given so many gifts (even if they do not same as such) here and now and wishing away the NOW means wishing these away.

P.S. Rookie blogger mistake! This was written a few days ago, but I saved it instead of publishing by accident. Oops! :)

1 comment:

  1. This was sooo what I needed to read today! Thanks for sharing Rachel!

    ReplyDelete